Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

May 18, 2005

Reza and Group – Persepolis, Iran


While in Iran we had an Iranian tour guide. He was assigned to us by the Department of Tourism. His knowledge of Iran and ability to translate from Farsi to English was of great value as we traveled through out Iran. Pictured here, Reza, our tour guide, is explaining the history of Persepolis to our group. Yes, the females in our group had to wear "hejabs" to cover their hair and arms while in Iran. The males had it much easier are only requirement was to wear long pants.

I even had to wear long pants while jogging. If you recall back in Turkey, I was in need of exercise. Well, since, I've been able squeeze in number of morning jogs. Some of them in very memorable places like along the banks of the Nile in Egypt, amongst the wheat fields in Syria, and along side the mountains streams in Eastern Turkey with the snow capped mountains in the back ground. However, there have also been some less than spectacular jogging places, like the service road along side a highway in Damascus.

The only "difficulty", I've encounter so far when jogging, other than finding suitable places to jog, occurred during my first jog in Iran. When jogging past a small village, two very large, growling dogs with huge teeth stopped me in my tracks. I picked up a large rock and screamed at the top of my lungs for them either them to get away or the owner to appear. After about a few minute stand off, they started to back away. And needless to say, I did the same, in the opposite direction, of course.

No comments: