Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

August 29, 2005

Hill Tribe Village Overnight Visit – Luang Nam Tha, Laos


The visit to this village was a little strange. It wasn't a "simulated" tourist village, but a "real", operating, living village. People went about their lives as we looked on. While they were extremely friendly and accommodating, it just seemed a little odd observing them living their lives. I'm not sure how I would feel if a group of tourist arrived to observe my place of residence. The village did benefit financially. Maybe if the tourist paid me to view my residence, I would mind as much. I'm sure the villagers motivation was financial, but still the village was a little to fresh.

Nevertheless, some of the highlights of the visit was purchasing handicrafts from the villagers, (albeit junky handmade bracelets), having dinner with the village chief (which include pre-dinner shots of homemade rice wine), and receiving an after-dinner massage by local village women.

No comments: