Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

October 24, 2005

Scuba Diving – Ko Tao, Thailand

I started to get bored after 3 weeks in Chiang Mai and decided it was time for a change. Scuba diving was on my mind. Originally, I was lead to believe it wasn't diving season in Thailand, and excluded diving from my original schedule. The guide books indicated that the dive season starts in mid-November after the monsoons subside. The monsoons affect the underwater visibility. Later I learned that the monsoons subside in mid-November on the West Coast of Thailand and it was fine to dive on the East Coast of Thailand in the Gulf of Thailand prior to November. Anyway to make a long story short, I decided to go diving. I flew to Ko Samui (Ko Tao doesn't have an airport), connected with a dive master, Adam, and we motorboated over to Ko Tao. On arrival I learned it had been raining for four days prior to my arrival. Nevertheless, I proceeded to dive. For two of the five dives that I completed, the water visibility wasn't the best. During one of the dives, for a brief moments, I could barely see Adam, the dive instructor. However, the underwater visibility on the other three dives was fine. We saw a sea turtle, moray eels, clown fish, parrot fish, a spotted ray, puffer fish, and angel fish, just to name a few.

In the end, I was glad I did make to trip south to dive. My only other real diving experience was in the Red Sea where I completed my advance open water training. During the training I wasn't exactly relaxed, partially because I was concentrating on completing the training exercises correctly, I also was part of a larger group of divers, and I didn�t have a lot of experience diving. This time because it was only the two of us, and the object of the dives was purely pleasure, I was able to relax and thoroughly enjoy the dive. My air intake efficiency improved significantly. I can't wait to get to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia in a couple of day for more diving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

Eric wants to know if you got stung by the eel and the jellyfish. We miss you and can't wait to see you.

Douglas, Eric, Carole and Ken

Anonymous said...

Eric also wants to know if you pet any of the fish.

Mike said...

In scuba diving class they teach you to swim with your hands near your body so that you don't disturb the fish. I don't think they like to be petted. No injuries from eels or jellyfish. I was lucky. See you in Dec.