Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

October 29, 2005

Update – Cairns, Australia

I just arrived in Australia, but I feel like I'm back in the U.S. Many of the retail outlets and franchise restaurants are identical to those in the U.S. - Target, Woolworths, ReMax Reality, Footlocker, Athletes Feet., McDonalds, Domino Pizza, etc. I'm once again able to read and pronounce the street names. I'm back to drinking beer from six packs. The countries previously visited consume beer in 750ml bottles. The downside of Australia's familiarities, however, is the cost. The cost of living in Australia seems to be just as expensive as the U.S., and for me, it's enhanced by the weak U.S. dollar relative to the Australian dollar. A can of Coke cost as much as US$2.40 and a movie cost US$11.50. Books cost approximately 30% - 50% more than they do in the U.S. I don't know why they were so expensive, but I didn't buy any.

No comments: