Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

April 28, 2006

Cycling Update

I took my bike to Pete’s Bike Shoppe and inquired if they recommend purchasing a new bike or just updating my current bike before partaking on a cross country bike trip. I purchased my current bike in 1988 when I cycled from San Francisco to San Luis Obispo along the coastal highway. After inspecting my bike, the guy at the bike shop said that bikes like mine, touring bikes, haven’t change much in the last 25 years. He suggested just a tune-up and possibly changing the wheels. In the past when I’ve cycled long distances the spokes would loosen and the wheel rims would dent, causing all kinds of problems. He recommended switching to “bomb” proof rims (that’s what he called them). I agreed. Other than that the bike is basically the same. I can’t wait to get it back and start riding. My estimated departure is 3rd week in June.

No comments: