Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

May 10, 2006

Classes Are Over

My three classes are finished – “Producing I”, “Producing II” and “Entertainment Law for Producers”.

“Producing I” and “II” are very similar. In both classes we analyzed scripts, created budgets and schedules, practiced developing pitches, and outlined the necesary material in order to get project financing. The professors in both classes were very different. The prof for the “Producing I” course was a producer on Law and Order for five years, and now she is trying to develop some ideas of her own. She was much more up-to-date on how to produce for visual media and introduced the class to production software that I found useful. The prof for “Producing II” was 78 years old and he made most of his films in the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s. He was very nice and informative, but in an old school kinda of way.

The class that I enjoyed most this semester was “Entertainment Law for Producers”. It’s was by far the most rigorous, but as they say what you put into it is what you get out of it. We’ve covered a lot of material including optioning written material, contract law, copyrighting material, legal structures, and film distribution. The class really illuminated the producing process for me.

I plan to take three more film producing classes in the fall. Upon completing those classes, I will have completed the requirements for a certificate in film producing.

No comments: