Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

August 19, 2006

“Anti” Pow-Wows


Most of the cycling group members, actually I should say all of the members, are very "anti". They are "anti" most things "mainstream" - like the corporations, eating meat, chopping down old growth timber, nuclear research, consumerism, dependence on foreign oil, Wal-Mart, etc. I think you get the idea. Many of the things they are against, I agree with at some level or have some idea of where they are coming from, but on the other hand, I'm not as "anti" as they are. I understand why people might say corporation are bad, but on the same time I continue to invest in them and profit from my investments. Similarly, I understand why some people don't eat meat, and more often than not I eat vegetarian meals, but at the same time I also eat meat sometimes. When the group has these "anti" pow-wows, I sometime listen but really don't participate. I feel like I'm observing a small, "foreign to me", sub-culture of America. While I always enjoy trying to understand why others have different perspectives and convictions than my own, I don't think I'll ever be against enough things to be accepted by this sub-culture.

No comments: