Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

November 20, 2006

If this film thing doesn’t work out

While I’m currently not doing anything related to my graduate degree, I have those letters on my resume in which postmodern academies like Cornell hand out in addition to (and sometimes in lieu of) substantive knowledge, as a back-up. So whenever the thought “what happens if this film thing doesn’t work out” enters my mind, I click on the Analytic Recruiting’s website to make sure there are viable alternatives.

The Analytic Recruiting is a search firm that places people with statistical, research and analytical skills. My dissertation research was centered around data mining, analyzing data and building prediction and explanatory models. And lucky for me more and more jobs appear to be created in this area as more and more industries (grocery, media, credit cards, pharmaceutical, web tracking, etc.) are warehousing data in which they want analyzed. It's the exploratory aspect of data mining that I enjoy. Slicing and dicing, trying to make scene of data and building models used to make “educated” guesses. Yes, very geeky, I know, but I must say it was this aspect of my dissertation that I enjoyed the most.

No comments: