Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

May 26, 2007

Memorable Moments

In general, Southerns are very friendly, but you know it’s going to be a long conversation, or in some cases monologues, when:

the elderly park manager with an oxygen tank set-up in her car which is rhythmically emitting puffs of air into her nostrils, drives into my campsite, and after chatting for a bit, reaches for the ignition and turns off the engine.

the store owner in the middle of explaining the relationship between the Methodist and Baptist Church in town reaches backwards, without pause and without looking, for a stool to sit.

after me inquiring about the weather forecast, a store patron prefaces his response with: "Let me just start off by saying my oldest son is a dwarf……”

the only other patron in the coffee shop, after learning I'm a non-local, makes the random claim: “We have a lot of history in this town. Did you know kerosene was invented here?" Me: "Ummm, No". Many other facts were learned that day. The other patron was also the town's mayor.

1 comment:

Elisa said...

A long while back, a friend from DC (Ed Caywood) sent me a link to your site. And ever since then I've had the pleasure of enjoying your blog every once in a while... I'm now living in the South (Atlanta) and thoroughly enjoyed a hearty laugh at reading these very real examples! Thanks for sharing your adventures!