Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

February 26, 2008

"African-American" or "American of African Descent"?

 
Somehow my clock radio has made its way over to New York's Hip-Hop Radio Power 105.1 FM hosted by Ed Lover . I generally only listen to it for a couple of minutes in the morning, while lying in bed. On Sunday mornings, however, the station airs religious, black heritage, or talk programs. Last Sunday, a 19 year-old male called in to a talk program and he caught my attention. He was infuriated by the fact that he was referred to as African-American. “I’m an American, not African-American!” he exclaimed. Reflecting on it, he has a point: he is probably more of an American, than I am. While the caller didn’t specify when his ancestors came to the U.S., I’m sure it was a lot earlier than mine. During the time of the revolutionary war 19% of the U.S.’s population was of African heritage. My grandparents didn’t arrive in the U.S. until the early 1900’s, and yet I’m referred to as an “American”. Why isn’t he? I’m sure he has more roots in the U.S. than I do.

Update: A recent Op-Ed NYT article proposes: "It’s time to retire the term African-American and go back to black."

No comments: