Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

July 31, 2008

Film Shoot: It's a Wrap


We completed the last day of filming on Sunday. The entire film is in the can, as they say. It was an emotional experience especially for the Executive Producer, who wrote the story, shepherded the writing of the script and financially backed the making of the film (actually video. it was shot on miniDV).

And while the film is in the can, there seems to be a shortage of funds to finish the film. Joel and George are searching for these funds. I'm guessing they intend to edit a quick trailer to show case the footage end generate some investing interest. There seems to be a glut of low budget films these days. Similarly, there seems to be fewer and fewer investors given the financial state of the financial markets.

Overall, I must say I learned a lot of this film, both of what to do and what not to do. I think in retrospect, everyone agrees we should have had a little more time for preproduction. If we had a little more time to plan, we could have saved some significant dinero. Jumping into production full-speed ahead without filming locations locked down caused a lot of confusion, uncertainty and undue stress, and ultimately more money spent.

On Monday after filming wrapped, I spend a half day in the production office finishing paperwork and the final payroll numbers. Later the same night, I met with two college friends for dinner and a few drinks. It wasn't a late night. I was home in bed by 10:30 but I was exhausted. On Tuesday, I did some laundry and cleaned up my apartment. I haven't done either for the prior four weeks, since before the shoot started. Then I tried to watch a three Netflix DVD's, I just couldn't stay a wake. I kept falling asleep, waking, reversing, falling asleep, waking, reversing. Ultimately, I got through the DVD, I think, then when to bed early 9 PM. Even on Tuesday, I took a two hour nap. The 4 week, 7 days a week, shoot was catching up on me. That, or I just getting old. A little of both, I'm guessing.

Today I feel rested, and I'm going to resume working on my screenplays.

No comments: