Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

May 16, 2009

I'm Learning

A while back, I came across a passage in a screenwriting book stating that all screenwriters must practice the "craft". Being arrogant and a know-it-all, I completely dismisses it. Telling myself only idiot screenwriters need to practice the "craft". Talented screenwriters, like myself, didn't need to bother. Well.

After receiving repeated comments from script analysts complimenting my characters and dialogue, but chiding me for weak structure, I purchases this book (it was highly recommended on Amazon.com): "Secrets of Screenplay Structure" How to Recognize and Emulate the Structural Frameworks of Great Films" by Linda Cowgill and the "light" turned on! After struggling to understand what structure was by watching films to no avail, this book REALLY enlighten me. It especially helped me understand REVERSALS and REVELATIONS. All screenplays need at least on REVERSAL. I didn't know that. Now I do.

Screenplay Structure basically goes as follows:

Seven Points of Reference
1. Inciting Incident (s)
2. Climax - Act I
3. Midpoint
4. Act II Climax - Must relate to inciting incident)
5. Act III Climax - Protagonist learned something from Act II climax and uses it now.
6. Twist - Protagonist's “need”, which only makes sense at this point, is resolved.
7. Resolve – Protagonist is changed person.

Screenplay MUST include:
1. REVERSALS
2. REVELATIONS
3. Conflict, Obstacles, Complications
4. Surprise
5. Suspense

Obstacles
1. The Antagonist
2. Physical
3. Inner
a. Intellectual
b. Emotional
c. Psychological
4. Mystical Forces (really stupid in my opinion)

If Real Estate is about Location, Location, Location, then a movie is about EMOTION, EMOTION, EMOTION. A plot must be pushed by emotion, not characters.

LIVE AND LEARN. The first two screenplays that I wrote really lacked structure, but the third - "Doris" (which about a farmer and his loyal cow named, Doris) I imposed heavy structure. Personally, I still feel structure is unnatural and unrealistic, but I'm learning movies are basically very unnatural and unrealistic. I should hear back regarding the "Doris" screenplay in about a month's time for so.

No comments: