Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

January 25, 2010

My Growing Intolerance of Old People as I Get Older

Why are old people, including myself sometimes, so intolerant and so defensive of their life choices!

And even worse we have the need to suggest to others, those younger than us, to make the same choices that we have made in life!! It's as if we personally need to impose our beliefs on others to confirm our own choices in life.

Last night, I had dinner with 5 sixty-somethings. All I have to say: if you're 65 years old, and are just beginning to enjoy your life, to do the things you really enjoy doing, THAT'S YOUR CHOICE!

Don't hate on me. I didn't tell you to get married, have kids and work your entire life in a job you hated.

I made my own choices in life - some good and some bad. And yes mentally, I try to manipulate and rationalize them to be ALL GOOD!! But I don't impose them on you, or do I?

Ugh, too much thinking can't be good for you. Perhaps this is why people remain in complacent, loveless, life-long relationships, raise children, allow themselves to be entertained by TV, and slave away at lifeless, soulless jobs, so they don't have to think.

I really need a full-time job and to stop rationalize (defending) my life choices. I need a life that's tranquilized by minutia and mundane.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to know someone in that particular age group notice what the "back in my days" talk really is :))

great blog post.