Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

March 18, 2010

Real Life

It's one thing on TV, but it's another in real life.

At jury duty, I was called along with 90 other people as a potential jurist for a murder case. But because I had two up coming interviews, I pleaded hardship case and the judge excused me. But my hardship was even close to the hardship of the defendant. He was young in his early 20's, standing trial for murder. The judge ask him to introduce himself to up, a group of his "peers". The people who would determine his fate. He said "hey, I'm......".

Then I walked home, pondering about this guy's life - would he get off or would he spend his youth in prison. I entered my home, and then crash. I know the sound of a car crash. At the intersection in front of my house there has been three car crashes in the past year. I've never seen any of them happen, but heard them. Its always a bit surreal, seeing the smashed car sitting still prior to any emergency vehicles arriving. Did it just happen? Is it really an accident? Well, I'm not sure how it happen, but a car smashed into a light pole. The car was demolished, the drive taken away on a stretcher.

It's one thing seeing murders and car accidents on TV and in the movies, but in real life its always a cause for pause, at least for me. Damn, I love living in Newark!

No comments: