Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

June 01, 2010

12th Annual Memorial Day Weekend




Are these kids tired or what? Once a year, I travel deep into the bowels of suburbia to hang with my undergrad friends. And this past weekend was that weekend. It was the12th annual gathering of it's kind. I haven't attended all the gatherings, but I try, here and there, when I can muster the courage.

The next morning, Monday, actual Memorial Day, I cycled a 50 mile loop in west Jersey to shed the weekend's food and drink! I should not have eaten so much artichoke dip!!

"I have known more men destroyed by the desire to have wife and child and to keep them in comfort than I have seen destroyed by drink and harlots." -W.B. Yeats

Every time I hang with my undergrad friends, I feel like I'm visiting my racist, homophobic, sexist, unexplored past. A time when I didn't understand multiculturalism and the opportunities the world outside the U.S. and New Jersey has to offer. It's nice to visit my past, but I never want to live there again, metaphorically. I like change. I like adventure. I like learning new things.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

luv the quote. i have married friends with children. the life has been sucked out of them. all they do is watch tv or do kids activities. why be so boring?

Anonymous said...

Lisa. but some people prefer boring. not everyone can be exciting and interesting like you (who ever you are), right? boring isn't all bad.