Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

June 02, 2010

What I Do to Preserve Land Fills

Return my plastic (not the paper) Chinese takeout food containers to the restaurant. (I can't guarantee they don't throw them out after I return them.)

Try not to "buy" things. However, I want to buy a new iPhone and TV, but I struggle with what do I do with my old phone and TV. They still work. Craigslist? Or maybe Salvation Army.

In furnishing my new room, I'm trying to purchase as much as I can on Craiglist and Salvation Army. We'll see how that goes.

I went to the Salvation Army Store yesterday to purchase a scale, coffeemaker, coffee cup and umbrella. All I got was the coffee cup.

Sew my old clothes (e.g. T-shirts, socks, buttons, etc.) instead of buying new clothes.

The conversion of DVD/CD to digital has reduced my waste significantly. I might research buying a Kindle to reduce my tree usage.

I never take plastic spoons, forks or knives, if I'm going to eat takeout at home.

Only use cloth napkins and towels at home instead of paper napkins or towels. I do use toilet paper, however.

Try to buy as much produce fresh or dry good in bulk, and reuse the clear plastic bags. I always bring reusable grocery bags with me to the store.

Use a cardboard box as an indoor garbage bin. I refuse to buy a plastic one.

I hate buying things, taking care of them, and eventually having to throw them out. I rather just not buy "things". I don't like the responsibility.

Yes, I'm a whack job, thank you.

No comments: