Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

November 26, 2010

Day 6 - Back in Moscow

After arriving in Moscow at 6 am, we found a cab and make it back to the hostel safely. Our luggage, a happy sight, was waiting for us in baggage storage. Hurray, right? Yes, but now our room wasn't ready. All we wanted was a shower and to change into clean, warm, fresh clothing. We waited, and waited. Evidently they has a specific room assigned to us and the guests in the room from the night before, had no plans to checkout early.

Eventually, we took showers in the pubic facilities, changed into clean clothes and waited in the lounge. It was especially annoying, because the hostel has other vacant rooms, but none of them were "assigned" to us. The staff behind the counter wasn't budging either. They were young and I'm sure just doing what they were told. By this time, I was fairly frustrated, plus it was now day six since I last exercised. Without exercise, I get really grumpy.





That night, we purchased to ticket to the Wozzeck Opera at the Bolshoi Theatre. The Bolshoi is the most famous theatre in Moscow, akin to the MET in NYC. It was where "Swan Lake" was first seen on stage in 1875. However, it was our last night in Moscow and only one Opera playing. We didn't have a choice. I wanted to attend, just for the sake of seeing an opera, but I wasn't that excited about seeing fat people sing in a foreign language wearing velvet and gold antique customs. Alex was very indifferent.

Much to my surprise, it was a contemporary rendition of a opera, set in modern times. No fat people. No antIque customs weighing hundreds of pound. And in preparation, I read the plot of the opera online before hand. And it turned out that I liked it. Alex hated it, along with numerous other attendees, some who left mid-way through. Alex wanted to leave, but I wouldn't let him. I enjoyed the "contemporization" twist.

Prior to the Opera, we had dinner at Pushkin Cafe . A five star restaurant according to Zagat. The food was excellent. And you know food is good, if you think about it the next day, which I did.

No comments: