Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

March 25, 2020

3rd Year Travel Anniversary!!

On 25 March 2017, I departed my home in CT to cycle across the southern tier of the USA, which was the beginning of a 3 year travel adventure that came to an abrupt end last week.  I was planning on ending in April anyway, but still wasn’t expecting to end so abruptly. The few trips that I had planned for April were canceled (obviously).

I’m still in Niger for a minimum of 14 days at an AirBnB, but probably a lot longer, laying in bed playing on my laptop. Fourteen nights will be the longest that I’ve slept in a single bed (sequentially) in the 3 last years. I moved around a lot. Towards the end, however, moving everyday or every 2nd or 3rd day started to wear. I started making an effort to stay in one place longer or take rest days in-between tours.

While change was guaranteed daily, there was one constant from day-to-day travels: my 3 bags (weight approximately 60 lbs. or 25 kg). They contain all my personal necessities for the 3 years, soon to be diluted by my 2 packed storage rooms of personal possessions back in the US. I’m gonna miss the ultra minimalist life style a lot.

I have mixed feeling as the travels and adventure are coming to an end*. When I travel I’m always greater than 95% happy all the time. However, this COVID-19 self-isolation and social distancing ain’t traveling.

It’s been a great 3 years. I’ve met many amazing people, and seen and experienced a lot. My brain power isn’t sufficiently large enough to quickly recall all the places I’ve visited and experiences, but when I scroll through my pictures, I’m always pleasantly surprised as they quickly bring back lots of great memories.

I tried to find an anniversary cake for the 3 candle celebration, but instead choose 3 mangoes! It’s mango season here! Thank you all for following the adventures! My last adventure; returning to the US!
*previously this sentence read: “I have mixed feeling as it’s all coming to an end.” I changed it! 😅






No comments: