Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

July 01, 2008

Enuff Riting...


Okay, I'm tired of sitting in my apartment, daydreaming, and writing scripts. Actually, I don't mind it at all, but on the spur of them moment last week, via some obscure email exchange with a friend of a friend, I was forward contact info of the friend of the friend's friend, who’s in the film business and has a film was currently play in NYC. Expectantly, she didn't have a great deal free-time at the moment, promoting her film and all, but she did offer to get back in touch in a month or so. Her film is Full Grown Men and it’s playing in NYC theaters, unfortunately it didn’t get a lot of fresh reviews .

Anyway this got me thinking about film production work, so I checked on craigslist.com and found an ultra-low budget film "Rivers Run Over Me" looking for Production Assistants/Interns/Volunteers. I replied, interviewed, they said yes they could use my assistance, and sent me the script to read with a note that said "let me know your thoughts". So Neanderthal me, well I read the script, wrote a six point “my thoughts” memo. The last point being the ending was weak. There was no resolve. So, I scribble an alternative ending, not much just two pages, with some general ideas, and forward it to the producer. The producer of the film, Darien Sills-Evans”, was an actor on “Cosby” and “Third Watch”. And this is the email I get back:

“Mike,

While I'm appreciate (sic) your enthusiasm, I can't say that you are approaching this in the most professional manner. For future reference, you should know that under no circumstances should you attampt (sic) to re-write the ending of someone else's film -- especially if you are being considered for a Production Assistant position.

Even though I am a co-writer and producer, the film is John's vision and even I would not dare impose on that. He is the director, not I. How you or I would do it, is completely irrelevant.

Again, thank you for your interest in working on "Rivers Wash Over Me", but I'm afraid at this time, we'll have to pass. Perhaps on our future productions we will be able to work together.

Please cease and desist writing or re-writing our copyrighted materials and characters immediately.

Best of luck to you and your projects.

Sincerely,
Darien Sills-Evans

When I got this email, I was like what the f***?

First of all, if you didn't want my thoughts, then why did you ASK ME? If you provides me a 90 page document, and asked me my thoughts, I’m going to give em to you.

Secondly, what artistic vision? I’m guessing most “production assistants” would just kiss ass. But give me a break, if the material is crap, then face it, the material
is crap. Choosing to hide behind artistic license is just BS.

If ya can't handle an honest, unbiased opinion observation, then DON’T ask!

Well anyway, basically I got fired from my first intern, before I even started. The next day, I responded to another post on craigslist.com and found another totally kewl production company. I’ve only been involved with the productoin team for two days – mostly assisting with a casting call - nevertheless they seem like a great group of people. Hopefully, all goes well, I’ll learn something and observe the filmmaking process.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the art world, "let us know your thoughts, typically means "tell us you love our work".

Mike said...

That seems to be the moral of the story, innit!

usfoodpolicy said...

Too funny! I'm sure your version was better.

Anonymous said...

You still need to learn that in this industry you have to kiss people's ass. "Let us know your thoughts" means that they are looking for you to reply with.. the "script is brilliant", "when is the sequel?", and "I know someone who can finance your next project"