Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

August 17, 2008

Revelation

While watching McCain and Obama speak at that mega church thingy, last night I had a REVELATION: McCain isn’t George W. Bush. And while I hate George W. Bush for lying to the American people about the war in Iraq, I realized I don’t hate McCain. He seems like a decent person - old, possibly to old to be President, and without a doubt reliving the Vietnam War everyday - but a decent person. Admittedly, I was a huge Reagan back in the day. Especially after visiting the White House at the impressionable age of 19 and hearing Reagan speak. Since then I typically leaned Republican until 1992, that is, when I didn’t care any more. At that point in my life politics seemed stupid. I was in grad school and my world consisted of classes and research. It wasn’t until it became apparent in 2003 that George W. Bush led the country into a war on false pretenses. Having traveled to war ridden areas, I honestly believe no human should have to live in the mists of a war, if it can be prevented. Wars have a time and a place. Bombing Iraq was not the time, nor place.

UPDATE 8/18/08: Part of my shift in opinion of McCain was how well he answered the questions, especially the question about the three people most influenced his life. Evidently, he wasn't in the "cone of silence", where he was suppose to be, he was in his limo on route to the mega church. I'm sure his limo has a TV. The same questions posed to Obama, were also posed to McCain. McCain did seem a little too prepared.

But this is clearly an example of how much better the Republicans are at running a campaign. The know a head of time, that the two candidates are going to be asked the same questions, so why not arrive late listen to the questions a head of time, and be better prepared. It's not oncology.

No comments: