Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

February 13, 2018

Slave Museum, Calabar, Nigeria

I always thought the Af-Am pilgrimage back to the motherland was a thing.  But it appears it's not.  The pilgrimage tourist oriented places here are extremely lacking, like this museum.  I didn't learn anything new from the museum.  I only learned that West Africa in very lacking in terms of tourist attractions for Af-Am venturing back to the motherland. 

The museum staff was very African.  Entrance was 200 Nigra and I gave the guy at the front desk 500 Nigra. He said they didn't have change.  So I said whatever.  This happen all over Nigeria. Nobody has change. 

Entering the museum, there was signs stating "no pictures". I asked the tour guide if I could take pictures.  He said "no" at first, and then "yes" but if I didn't it very fast.  He walked me very quickly, through the entire museum, not explaining anything. I took pictures. He kept guard to make sure none of his fellow staff members saw me talking picture, then he quickly asked if that was enough.  

I said no. I would like to look more closely and read the exhibits explanations. After a "sigh" he allowed me to do this and also provided his own explanations of the exhibits. When we reached the end of the exhibit the second time, he asked if I would like to give him a tip. I told him he could have the 300 Nigra change that the guy at the front desk guy owed me. Then he asked me to return to the front desk to tell the front desk guy that the change was his, and not property of the guy at the front desk guy. lol   










No comments: