Collect Experiences. Not Things. :')

September 06, 2018

Juba - Day 3

I originally plan to visit the Mundari Tribe located 1 hour dive over a poor dirt road north of Juba on the west bank of the River Nile to the village of Terakeka, but the tour company was asking in excess of $800 for the transport. I decided to cancel and wondered around Juba myself. Even if I did attempt to visit the tribe there was no guarantee the tribe or village even existed anymore, or more probably was not in order to handle tourist.  I suspect the village, based on my experience at the national park the day before,  has not seen a tourist in 5 plus years since the civil war started.

Most notable in downtown Juba was the international aid workers including the U.N. and Chinese industrialist that I assumed were there to help rebuild (purchase) South Sudan.


U.N. and Aid vehicles were everywhere around Juba.  The city was a boon for enterprises that supported this influx of the aid.  


Chinese Hospital 


Chinese Restaurant


Chinese Grocery Store


The departure "lounge" at the airport. Basically a tent.


Metal detector that didn't work. They searched every one by hand.


Check in counter.  A new airport was under construction. 

No comments: